Enrollment: 564 in 1990 & 596 in 1999 Distinctions: 13 National Merit Semifinalists, 234 Finalists & 76 Scholars Tuition Assistance: Totaled $533,706 in 1990
In 1991, Dr. Richard Sandler of the English department and Ellen Moceri, Director of Studies, co-founded Aim High St. Louis modeled after Aim High San Francisco, founded by Alex Lee ’76.
In 1992, Mark Vittert ’65 established the Newman Prize in honor of Eric P. Newman ’28. It gives one junior the opportunity to meet an outstanding American of their choice. Julia Macias ’93 was the first recipient and she enjoyed a visit with the late Maya Angelou.
Alp Aker ’91 was named a Presidential Scholar.
Meiling Hazelton ’91 was named a Rhodes Scholar.
In a 1992 assembly, Dr. Sessions Cole of the Washington University School of Medicine spoke with students about AIDS.
Sarah Jost ’92 is named a Presidential Scholar.
In a 1995 assembly, former Senator and three-time presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy spoke about congressional confusion and resulting policy gridlock.
Jan Moolsintong ’95 was named a Presidential Scholar.
Julie Goran ’96 was named a Presidential Scholar.
Katherine Wiltenburg ’99 was named a Presidential Scholar.
In 1997, Tad Foote ’55, president of the University of Miami, talked about the Burroughs experience and modern college life.
In 1997, Burroughs established the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusivity and named Daniel Harris the founding director.
Field hockey teams of the 1990s added seven championships, in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, and 1999.
The Technology Education Association of Missouri (TEAM) declared the Burroughs Industrial Technology program Best in State in 1999.
In a 1999 assembly, journalist Hugh Sidey shared insights gleaned from serving as a member of the White House Press Corps for five decades, and he reflected on the influence of nine presidents from Eisenhower through Clinton.
Also in 1999, Head of School Keith Shahan ’62 and principals Mark Nicholas and Todd Small impersonated the Supremes after students far exceeded a challenge to raise $4,000 for Aim High in one week.
Architectural firm Christner, Inc. put forward a master plan that integrated the original plan of LeBeaume and Klein from the 1920’s.
The school acquired another 11 acres of adjacent land for athletic fields.
Additional space provided by the renovation of the main building and the new Schnuck Wing consolidated the classrooms for the modern language, math, history, classics, and English departments. The Donald O. Schnuck Classroom Wing and Tower (completed in 1994) created 17 new classrooms and more than 16,000 feet of additional square footage on three levels. The original main building, rededicated as the Arthur John Brauer ’33 and Rebecca Jane Brauer ’59 Classroom and Administration Building in 1995, was renovated to provide additional classroom space, house the computer laboratories, the art gallery, the industrial technology room, and administrative offices.
Twelve more endowed scholarships were established for a total of 34 by the end of 1999.
In 1998, the Edwin McClellan Johnston Chair in Classics was established by Anne Winton Johnston in memory of her husband, Edwin McClellan Johnston whose sons attended JBS: Edwin M. Johnston Jr. ’51 and Henry “Harry” O. Johnston ’54. Philip Barnes was the first chairholder.
Also in 1998, the Robert A. Sortland/Kemper Family Chair in American Studies was established by the David W. Kemper Family and the William T. Kemper Foundation. Bob Sortland taught in the History Department from 1964-1996. Dr. Rick Sandler was the first chairholder.
In 1999, the Charles K. “Doc” Sibley Chair in Science was established by an anonymous donor. Dr. Sibley taught in the Science Department from 1925-1935, and again from 1952-1957. Margaret Bahe was the first chairholder.