Enrollment: 509 in 1970 & 546 in 1979 Distinctions: 43 National Merit Semifinalists, 73 Finalists & 28 Scholars
In 1970, Burroughs faculty members presented You Can’t Take It With You to benefit August Days.
In 1970, Burroughs established its Outstanding Alumnus Award to honor alumni “for having made a positive and outstanding contribution to mankind through dedicated and unselfish example.”
Headmaster Ed Cissel inaugurated “Sound Offs” during Wednesday morning assemblies. The first speaker was David Busse ’74.
Helen Graham ’75 was named a Rhodes Scholar; our second alum, and first woman, to receive this prestigious international scholarship.
Karon Sue Walker ’76 was named a Rhodes Scholar.
This decade was one of assessment as emerging philosophies of learning and teaching were discussed, debated, and sometimes adopted or abandoned by Burroughs faculty. One emerging area of innovation that was deeply embraced was computer technology which Tom Yager, chair of the mathematics department, and Bruce Westling, in the science department, brought to Burroughs.
Also in 1971, Drey Land, our camp in the Ozarks, was established thanks to the generosity of Leo Drey ’34 who agreed to lease to Burroughs 44 acres in his 160,000-acre Pioneer Forest.
In 1973, Eric Hanson was appointed coordinator of Drey Land and he became its “guardian angel” for over 25 years.
During the 1976-1977 school year, Student Congress voted unanimously to accept the “Montgomery Plan” which was first suggested by popular former math teacher Gaylord Montgomery who retired in 1972.
Burroughs establishes a “study account” in 1973 to support faculty professional development, summer enrichment, and sabbaticals.
By 1977, Burroughs was in the top 10% of salary levels for independent schools in the country, a direct result of the salary guidelines created in 1968 by head of school, Ed Cissel.
In 1978, Senator J. William Fulbright, former chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, spoke in assembly.
In 1973, Burroughs celebrated its 50th Anniversary and began plans to build a new 12,500-square-foot Fine Arts building east of the dining hall. Architect Raymond E. Maritz was engaged, construction began in 1975, and the building was dedicated in 1976.
Eight more endowed scholarships are established for a total of 15 by the end of 1979.
In 1971, the first endowed chair was established: the Mark Neville/Martin Parry Chair in English donated by the late Ben H. and Katherine Gladney Wells ‘36. Mark taught in the English Department from 1929-1938 and Martin taught from 1939-1971; both were former colleagues of Ben Wells when he was a teacher at Burroughs. John Acker was the first chair holder.
In 1972, the “Fifty from Twenty” plan was launched to obtain $50,000 each from twenty donors to further support the Burroughs endowment; 23 families ultimately donated.
Also in 1972, the Blue and Gold Society was established to recognize donors who gave $1,000 or more to the Burroughs Annual Fund in a single school year.